Monday, August 8, 2011

The End

This is a photo taken from the International Space Station of the re-entry of the last flight of the Space Shuttle.  For me it is a beautiful picture but one of the saddest that I have ever seen.  I grew up watching man land on the moon.  My imagination was fueled by rocket ships and dreams of space travel.  I thought that there was nothing that Man could not do and I wanted to be a part of it all.  I thought then that man would be on Mars by the time I am at the age I am now.  Was it expensive?  Sure it was but in my opinion it was a grand, shining example of mankinds greatest achievement and it helped fuel so many of the technological advancements that we all take for granted today.  Some say the money is best spent in other ways.  Many say it should go to social programs, to be given to the 'needy'.  I'm sorry but I live in Baltimore and I see first hand what giving money to people does.  It kills desire for advancement.  It kills creativity and initiative.  It fuels drug use and associated crimes.  It creates an entitlement subculture that is destroying this country from the inside.

I don't mean to be negative or to say that some people don't need help.  I'm just sad and angry when I see this picture.  To me it represents where this country is going and that our greatest years are over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment