Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bread!

I decided to make bread for the first time today and boy is it easy and fun.  It didn't turn out perfect but it tasted great and I know how to perfect it next time.  I won't be buying bread anymore.   For one loaf I just mixed 3 cups of flour, 1 tbs. sugar (I didn't have any sugar so I used maple syrup), 1 tsp. salt,  1 package fast rise yeast and 1 1/4 cup of warm water.  You just mix all the ingredients, knead the resulting dough for about 10 minutes, let stand and rise for 1 hour, knead again for a minute or two and form out the loaf on a greased cookie sheet, let stand and rise for another 30 minutes then throw it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  My one mistake?  After I had formed the loaf and had let it rise for 30 minutes I cut the top of the loaf with several slits like you see online.  Well, I should have done that after I had formed the loaf but BEFORE I let it do the final 30 minute rise.  What happened was the loaf had all puffed out like it should have but when I cut the top it partially collapsed.  Then I cooked it and although it did puff back up some it lost the full rise that it had before I sliced it.  Still came out tasting great though.  I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway when he had made fire and was dancing around singing.  When I finished I was thumping my chest and saying "bread, me make bread"

No comments:

Post a Comment