Thursday, April 26, 2012

Cutting Trees

 I spent all morning mowing and trimming (2 acres takes a while).  I spent all evening tackling the long overdue task of cutting up trees that went down in Hurricane Irene last year.  I hate cutting trees as I can't think of a more dangerous thing to be doing outside.  You never quite know where or what a tree is going to do when you cut it and the weights involved can tag you quickly.  Part of the tree below was caught up in the air on another tree.  I warily cut partially through the large limb where it connected to the main tree then used the truck and rope to pull the cut apart.  That big limb then snapped apart and swung out with a vengeance as the upper part slid down that standing tree.  If I had tried cutting all the way through it would have got me.  I have another two foot diameter tree that broke about 6 feet above the ground then fell between a fork in another tree.  The whole downed tree is about 6 feet off the ground (you can see it in the background of the pic).  I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle that one without getting myself killed.  I guess I could stand on top of it and cut through from the side:o)  Maybe I could build a big fire under the middle.  Maybe I should just leave it until it rots and falls apart.



No comments:

Post a Comment